Best Ways to Enjoy
Posted April 28, 2021 By Kelly Graham
Choosing your favorite strain of cannabis flower is just one piece to the pot puzzle: now you have to decide how you actually want to enjoy your stash.
While you can of course choose to go the traditional route of sparking up a joint, you could also try bongs, blunts, dry flower vaporizers or even try your hand at making your own pipe. With an endless number of options at your fingertips, it can be hard to decipher which method is best for you and your lifestyle.
That’s where we step in. We’re here to break down the basics of the best ways to enjoy your flower to make your next sesh a no-brainer.
Best Ways to Smoke Cannabis Flower
Smoking is perhaps the most common method of consumption because it’s quick, flavorful, and simple—but did you know that there is more than one way to smoke?
With widespread legalization taking over the country, ingenious stoners have been given the freedom to create everything from high-tech vaporizers and portable pipes to tobacco-free blunt wraps and 24-karat gold rolling papers.
So, if you’re looking for a new way to smoke or are just curious about the wide world of weed, read for a closer look at some of the best ways to smoke your sticky icky.
Pipes are generally small, compact, and approachable smoking accessories that are often made with glass or silicon. With their portability and ease of use, pipes are some of the most popular devices for smoking weed. To use a pipe, simply:
- Grind up some Glass House Farms flower (or carefully break it down with your hands)
- Add the cannabis to the bowl-shaped area at one end (often referred to as “packing a bowl”).
- Spark it up and inhale. If there is a tiny hole on the side of the piece, known as the carb, place your finger over the hole as you breathe in to fill the chamber, and remove your finger once you are ready to take your hit. The smoke travels through the pipe’s hollow chamber and exits through the mouthpiece, where you inhale sweet cannabis relief.
Water pipes, which include the ever-popular bongs and bubblers, work similarly to the pipes above, except the smoke is filtered through water held in a chamber. The water cools down the smoke as it travels, creating a smoother and more pleasurable inhalation. Many cannabis connoisseurs prefer to smoke bongs because they often allow you to take massive, tasty rips without the slightly harsher feel of smoking directly from a pipe.
To enjoy a water pipe:
- Grind up some Glass House Farms flower and pack it into the bowl.
- Light the flower and inhale slowly. Either use the carb or remove the bowl to release the smoke into your lungs—and take off into outer space. If you are new to bongs, be sure to exercise caution. These bad boys are notorious for their potently powerful puffs.
Traditionally made with cigar paper, blunts have been a longstanding favorite amongst cannabis enthusiasts. Usually, a cigar is sliced open, hollowed out, and then the tobacco is replaced with weed but you can also buy blunt wraps to avoid this messy situation. There are even hemp varieties now that do not involve any tobacco. Cannabis users love blunts because they are typically larger and contain more cannabis than joints, making them great for sharing with friends or an impressive solo sesh. Either way, it’s a win-win for everyone. To roll one up yourself, you will want to:
- Slice open a cigar and dump the tobacco or unfurl an empty blunt wrap.
- Grind up some weed and gently fill the center of the wrap with your desired amount of cannabis. Some stoners go for a full eighth of weed, others prefer to be more sparing with their stash, so it is entirely up to you.
- Once the wrap is packed, delicately begin to roll the wrap back into its original shape. This will take a little practice, but you’ll get there champ.
- Wet the edge of the wrap (feel free to use your tongue or simply wet your fingertips) and seal the blunt. The final product should look like a weed-filled cigar. Simply light, smoke, and enjoy.
Pro-tip: Make a filter on one end or use a glass tip to protect your lips from the heat.
If blunts, glass pieces, or fruit pipes aren’t your style, consider trying a paper alternative, like joints. Smaller than their blunt cousins, joints are made by rolling cannabis into specially designed rolling papers just like you would roll a cigarette. Learning to roll a joint is an art that takes some time, but try these steps to get you started on your way (or try any of our prerolls, ready for your enjoyment):
- Grab a rolling paper and some ground flower.
- Look closely for a shiny strip at the edge of the paper. This is the adhesive that you will wet at the end to seal your joint, so make sure that the strip is facing toward you as you roll.
- Fill the paper just like you would a blunt, only smaller.
- Wet the adhesive strip and seal the joint. Once sealed, spark it up and enjoy.
Desktop Dry Flower Vaporizer
Another option for getting the most out of your smoking experience is a desktop dry flower vaporizer. Vaporizers are a type of device that uses electricity to simply toast your weed, rather than lighting it on fire with a match or lighter. This may sound like an arbitrary distinction, but the temperature of the heat used on your raw flower makes a major difference.
When a lower heat is used on your flower rather than setting it ablaze, you not only save many of the cannabinoids from complete incineration, but you also maintain richer and fuller flavor. In other words, you can really taste those precious terpenes with every draw.
Vaporizers also have the benefit of being able to set an exact temperature to yield targeted results. For example, if you set your vaporizer to a low temperature, you will get the most robust flavor but likely less of a powerful drag. If you set the temperature a little higher, you may lose some of the taste, but you’ll be able to take a much larger puff. Either way, you’re in for a silky-smooth ride without the harsh aftertaste.
Though you can certainly use desktop vaporizers on your own for a solo vaping session, the large size and powerful vaping capability also make these gadgets great for groups. While every vaporizer is a little different, you can generally use one by following these steps:
- Grind the herb and fill the chamber with your green. You may have to remove the cap or cover on your vaporizer’s dry herb chamber. Be careful not to pack it too tightly as your weed will need a little breathing room to get an even temperature all over.
- Heat up the vaporizer. Dry herb vaporizers typically need a little time to heat up before you can start smoking. This may take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute depending on the size and features of your device.
- When the device has heated up properly, go ahead and take a hit. Place your lips over the mouthpiece and inhale at a steady, slow pace.
- Continue smoking from your vape until you’ve reached your desired level of lit. Just remember that if you’re using a conduction vape, the dry flower will continue to burn even when you’re not actively using it, so you may want to take shorter breaks in between hits.
- When you’re done smoking, make sure to power off your device. Then, allow the vaporizer to cool completely before you store it or clean it. Voila!
Portable Dry Flower Vaporizer
A portable dry flower vaporizer (sometimes referred to as a vape pen) is a pocket-sized gadget similar to the larger desktop versions but made for smoking on the go. You can easily slip this lightweight device into a pocket, purse, or tuck it in a discreet drawer.
With essentially the same temperature control as their desktop counterparts, vape pens are often favored for their small size and ease of use. With that said, it can only hold a small amount of ground weed, so they are best for solo use or sharing with one or two close friends.
Ready to start vaping? Use the same steps as above and you’re good to go, my friend.
Bonus: DIY Devices
If you find yourself somewhere without any smoking devices and need to medicate ASAP, don’t fret—there are a number of ways to make your own piece with a few household items. Here, we’ll cover how to make two fan favorites: an Apple Pipe and a Gravity Bong.
DIY Apple Pipe
When you’re in a pinch or on the go, grab an apple to make your very own fruit pipe. We know it might sound strange, but nearly every pot-lover has tried this method at least once in their smoking career—one might say it’s practically a rite of passage.
While it is certainly not the most high-tech or comfortable way to smoke, it does add a delightfully fruity flavor to every draw. So if you’re ready to try this DIY project, gather your tools, and let’s get started.
What You’ll Need:
- Glass House Farms Flower
- Any variety of apple
- A poking tool such as a pen, knife, key, stick, or screwdriver to fashion the pipe
- A lighter
- Twist off the stem of the apple to reveal the natural bowl at the top of the fruit.
- Use your pen or poking utensil to poke a hole down the top of the bowl. Be mindful to only go about halfway through the apple to keep the chamber you are creating as air-tight as possible.
- Make your mouthpiece by poking another hole on the face or front of the apple. The goal is to connect the mouthpiece’s chamber with the first chamber or hole you made for the bowl so that it creates one seamless stream of smoke.
- To create a carb on your DIY fruit pipe, keep pushing your tool all the way through the apple from the mouthpiece chamber. This step is completely optional but we recommend giving it a try. The carb will let air flow through the chambers you’ve already made and clear any remaining smoke after each puff—no stale smoke here.
- Finally, it’s time for you to load up some weed and enjoy a few rips from your apple pipe. Simply pack your bowl where the stem used to be and use it like you would any other hand pipe. It’s that easy.
DIY Gravity Bong
For a smoking device that really kicks things up a notch, enter the Gravity Bong. Usually crafted with a massive chamber made out of a plastic bottle, this bong is sure to get you high as the sky. Best of all? You can make one of these yourself with some simple household items. So without any further adieu, let’s do this thing.
What You’ll Need:
- Glass House Farms Flower
- A plastic bottle
- A needle or a toothpick
- Sharp scissors or knife
- Aluminum foil
- Any kind of container like a mixing bowl, just as long as it’s bigger than the bottle.
- Take your plastic bottle and remove the lid. Cover the opening with aluminum foil and create your bowl.
- Poke a few tiny holes into the bowl with your toothpick so that the smoke can pass through freely.
- Cut the bottom off of the plastic bottle so that it is one large hollow piece. Discard the bottom.
- Next, take your large container and fill it halfway with water. Place the cut plastic bottle into the water until it reaches the neck of the bottle or as far as you can.
- Fill the bowl with weed, light, and slowly lift the bottle, stopping before it leaves the water. It should fill with a cloud of thick smoke as you go.
- Carefully lift off the aluminum and quickly place your mouth over the opening and slowly push the bottle back into the water. This will force the smoke out and into your mouth. If you cannot take the whole hit one breath, simply cover the mouthpiece with your hand until you are ready for more.
Whether you want to invest in a high-tech vaporizer or simply grab an apple at the grocery store, there is an infinite number of ways to enjoy your cannabis flower. While these are just a handful of suggestions to get you started, feel free to get creative and experiment with different methods until you find what works best for you. Whatever you end up picking, just make sure you’re packing it with Glass House Farms Flower.
Kelly is a creative multi-hyphenate and chef with an affinity for all things weed. She currently lives, works, and bakes in sunny Los Angeles, California. To see what she’s cooking up next, check her out at Not Your Mom’s Kitchen.