How to Roll the Perfect Joint
January 29th, 2022
By: Ryan Gordon
There is no better rite of passage for a stoner than learning how to roll the perfect joint.
Sure, you can use a glass pipe, bong, bubbler, or any one of the plethora of smoking devices at our fingertips, but sometimes, a joint is the only smoking device that will do the trick.
With no need to lug around an array of tools or light it multiple times, joints are perfect for on-the-go smoking and easily fit in your pocket or bag. Plus, learning to roll your own is one of the best ways to get up close and personal with the plant. Whether you’ve been rolling joints for years or are just figuring out the basics, read on to discover everything you need to know about rolling a joint.
Gather your materials.
Although the tools might vary slightly from person to person, there are a few materials you need to get you started on your joint journey.
- Rolling Papers – Of course, every great cannabis cigarette starts with the right rolling paper. With quality paper, your doobie will burn evenly, slowly, and smoke smooth. If you’d like a big, shareable joint, you can also get oversized papers to fit your needs. For an elegant touch, you can even find rose petals or 24 karat gold rolling papers to elevate your smoking sesh. Everyone has their favorites so do a little of your own exploring to find the right fit for you.
- Flower – You’ll also need some bud to fill your joint with. Some joints can be as small as ½ of a gram of bud but the average size uses about one gram of green — so an eighth jar will have plenty to roll a few perfect joints. You can use whatever cannabis strain suits you best, just make sure it’s the good stuff.
- Grinder – When rolling a doobie, you want to use finely ground weed for an even smoking experience. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy but a grinder can help you break down your weed with ease.
- Crutch – A crutch goes into the mouthpiece end of the joint to make sure the air path stays open and prevents your lips from getting burnt. Packs of joint papers usually provide cardstock-like paper to roll your own crutch but you can make a crutch with almost any kind of paper — some pre-roll brands even used dried pasta like rotini.
- Combustion -Whether it’s a lighter, matches, or hemp wick, you’ve got to have something to spark it up. There’s nothing worse than rolling a joint only to realize you have no way to light it. So don’t be that guy and stay prepared with the combustion of your choice.
- Rolling Tray -While you can certainly roll up some weed without a rolling tray, it can help keep everything organized. Even if you’re a pro, it’s hard to prevent flower from spilling out of your spliff. Additionally, you can store all of your rolling accouterments on the tray so you always know where to find your tools.
Step-by-step: How to Roll a Joint
Now that you have everything you need to get started, let’s get rolling.
1. First, go ahead and grind up your buds.
2. Then, make your crutch. Start with a few accordion folds, then roll the crutch to the desired thickness of your joint. This measures out the mouthpiece of your smoking device so try not to make it too big or too small.
3. Grab one rolling paper with the adhesive edge facing up and fill the center with finely ground cannabis, making sure to place the crutch at one end. Delicately use your finger to pat the weed into place in the middle.
4. Now that you’ve filled and shaped your joint, it’s time to start rolling. Encourage one end of the paper to slide beneath the adhesive side as you delicately pinch the paper together and roll it back and forth until snug.
5. Now seal the joint with the strip of adhesive. You can lick the strip or use a wet finger, then complete rolling the joint until it is sealed. It should not feel loose or have too much space around the mouthpiece.
6. Lastly, pack your joint. Use a toothpick, a chopstick, or something slim to pack down the weed in the joint. Then you can twist the excess paper to close the joint from end to end.
7. Spark up and enjoy!
If you’re just learning how to roll the perfect joint, remember to be patient with yourself. It will likely take a few times to master your craft — and trust us, it is time well spent. With a little determination, you’ll be a joint aficionado. And when all else fails or you’re in a pinch, you can always grab a pack of pre-rolls to satisfy your doobie cravings.
Read our blog post, There’s a Lot to Consider When Selecting Which Strains to Grow.